Beavertail Light Open This Saturday
October 8, 2010
The Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association in Jamestown, Rhode Island, will open the lighthouse tower to the public on Sunday, Oct. 10, from 12 to 3 p.m. The museum will also be open during those hours. On Sunday the museum and the tower will close for the winter.
For more information
- The building that now houses the Beavertail Lighthouse Museum was built in 1898 to house an assistant keeper, who helped maintain both the beacon and foghorn systems.
- The keeper’s house was built in 1856, along with the granite tower and the first of several large fog-signal buildings that were important parts of the Beavertail Light Station.
- The last of the larger sound-signaling buildings, along with its 2 foghorn system generators and compressors, was destroyed in the great 1938 hurricane. The subsequent removal of building and equipment debris revealed the remains of the stone foundation of the first light tower sited at Beavertail in 1749.
- Restoration of both keepers’ houses began in 1983, and the museum opened in 1989 as a part of the RI State Parks Association.