Block Island Community Sailing Group Formed
March 19, 2018
A group of Block Island sailing enthusiasts have announced the formation of Block Island Community Sailing, “a new educational, community sailing organization, dedicated to make the sport of sailing fun, accessible and affordable to everyone, especially youth and senior sailors.”
A non-profit organization, BICS aims to promote an accessible and welcoming environment that encourages learning, volunteerism, and community spirit.
BICS is a member-based organization, open to everyone, with an annual membership fee. Members can participate in the unlimited use of BICS’s boats, along with member discounts for sailing lessons, and racing, boating safety, and race committee certification clinics.
Goals of BICS include:
* To teach sailing, seamanship, and fair play in competitive sailing.
* To provide sailboat availability to qualified sailors for recreational sailing or racing at the lowest cost possible.
* To help raise the environmental awareness of Block Island’s Great Salt Pond and its surrounding waters.
* To provide the “joy of sailing” experience to diverse groups including youth sailing, women’s sailing, senior sailing, minority groups, and for the disabled or handicapped.
* To provide an environment that fosters competitive sailing.
For more information on Block Island Community Sailing, visit their website.