Buzzards Bay Oil Spill Prevention Talk
April 20, 2013
The Buzzards Bay Coalition will host a free public talk on preventing oil spills in Buzzards Bay on Tuesday, April 23, 2013, at 6:00 p.m. in downtown New Bedford.
Korrin Petersen, the Coalition’s senior attorney, will speak about the Coalition’s work to protect Buzzards Bay from oil spills in the wake of the devastating Bouchard spill, which fouled Buzzards Bay’s waters, beaches and wildlife with 98,000 gallons of fuel oil in 2003.
In the 10 years since the Bouchard spill, the Coalition has worked to keep the Bay safe from oil by:
- Helping draft the Massachusetts Oil Spill Prevention Act, which was signed into law in 2004. Among other protective measures, this act mandates that all oil barges have a tugboat escort to guide them through navigational routes.
- Guiding the creation of Geographic Response Plans to help Buzzards Bay communities prepare for and respond to future oil spills, such as the small gear oil spill that took place near Cape Cod Canal in Wareham in March.
- Going to court to push for the strictest protections to prevent future oil spills.
The talk will take place at the Buzzards Bay Center, located at 114 Front Street in New Bedford. The event is free, though donations are welcome to support the Coalition’s advocacy, restoration, protection and education efforts throughout the Buzzards Bay region.
- Email: Alicia Pimental at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: (508) 999-6363 x226)
Follow New England Boating:
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on New England Boating, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!