C-MAP 4D Platform for Geonav MFDs
October 13, 2010
Jeppesen has announced the debut of C-MAP 4D, an advanced digital cartography platform designed to take advantage of the powerful new Geonav multifunction systems being introduced this month. American consumers will get their first look at the actual Geonav units with the C-MAP 4D cartography at the 2010 Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (Oct. 28-Nov. 1). In the meantime, here’s a preview:
C-MAP 4D is designed to provide unparalleled control when navigating coastal, intercoastal and inland waterways. The 4D platform includes C-MAP MAX data, such as detailed harbor charts, C-Marina port databases, Explorer Charts in the U.S. and more, plus the following features that are currently only available through the advanced Geonav MFDs:
- 3D Chart View: C-MAP 4D provides boaters with detailed worldwide 3D height and depth cartography database, creating an “electronic navigation experience” that is close to the real world.
- Satellite Images with 2D/3D Overlay: High-resolution satellite images can be overlaid onto detailed 2D and 3D cartography—valuable when navigating coastal and inland waters.
- Digital Raster Charts with 2D/3D Overlay: Digital raster charts can be used with 2D or 3D shaded relief. This feature delivers a new boating experience for those who prefer the traditional look of paper charts.
- Guardian Alarm: This feature lets the user select a minimum safe depth when planning a route, then “looks ahead” on the chart to alert the operator to sandbars, ledges and other shallow dangers along the intended course.
- Easy Routing: This feature helps the user plan an efficient and safe route by analyzing the chart data and calculating the shortest route. It also identifies and displays hazards for each leg of the journey.
- Easy Data Expansion: The C-MAP 4D platform gives users the flexibility to purchase additional data, such as high-resolution bathymetric charts, when they need it.
Price: $299 (includes MAX and full 4D content)