Charlestown Names & Numbers
April 11, 2012
Charts: NOAA 13215
The Charlestown Breachway is located at 41 21.31N/071 38.31 W. Extreme caution should be used when navigating the breachway, as a ledge in 6’ of water exists just outside the inlet’s southern entrance. Large standing waves can form at the breachway entrance when the tide opposes a strong wind, and especially during swells from the south, southwest or southeast. Navigation is best attempted at slack tide by boaters unfamiliar with the breachway.
Once inside Ninigret pond, follow the marked channels east toward Shelter Cove Marina, north into Tautog Cove and the Ocean House Marina or west to Lavin’s Landing. Be sure to follow the markers closely, as the channels are bordered by very shallow flats.
Note: Operation of PWCs is prohibited inside the pond. Obey the no-wake zones posted throughout the pond.
Related Video: Navigating the Charlestown Breachway and Ninigret Pond channel after the dredging in 2012
- Ocean House Marina (401-364-6040): Located on the northern end of Tautog Cove, Ocean House offers gas, boat rental, brokerage service, a launch ramp, pump-out and haulout. Also offers transient slips at $1/foot ($25 min.) for boats with max 2-3’ draft.
- Shelter Cove Marina (401-364-2010): Marina with launch ramp located on the eastern end of the pond.
- Lavin’s Landing (401-322-7277): Located at the extreme western end of the pond, Lavin’s offers gas, bait, ice, tackle, snacks and launch ramp ($10 weekdays/$15 weekends and holidays). Also offers transient slips at $2 per ft./per night.
- With a maximum mean low water depth of around 6 feet, there aren’t many viable anchoring spots in Ninigret Pond for larger vessels. If you wish to anchor, check in first with harbormaster Justin Vail (401-641-3083).
- A state launch with limited parking can be found at the Charlestown Breachway State Campground, just north of the breachway. This ramp is suitable for small boats and kayaks. There are no floats.
- Private ramps exist at Shelter Cove Marina, Lavin’s and Ocean House Marina.
- Public access for kayaks, canoes and cartop skiffs exists at Charlestown Beach Road next to Creek Bridge. From here you can access both Ninigret and Green Hill Ponds.
- Ocean House Marina (401-364-6040): Rents pontoon boats and skiffs on the pond.
- The Kayak Centre (401-364-8000): Open June-August. Rents kayaks right on Ninigret Pond.
- Justin Vail
- Harbor Department Website
- Millscreek Natural Market (401-364-9399)
- Charlestown Mini-Super (401-364-6600)
- Peach’s Fruit & Produce (401-364-5949)
- No information available.
- Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge (401-364 9124): Perched on the shoreline of the largest salt pond in the state, the Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge sits on the glacial outwash plain of the Charlestown moraine, providing the refuge with its unique character. Over 250 bird species visit seasonally, and 70 species nest on the property, making bird watching and photography popular refuge activities. The refuge contains a variety of habitats, including salt marshes, kettle ponds, freshwater wetlands, maritime shrublands and forests dominated by oak or maple. Originally used as a Naval Auxiliary landing field during World War II (George HW Bush trained here), the main portion of the refuge still contains remnants of the numerous runways, taxi-ways, and buildings that supported the war effort. Many people served their country here, with this rich history celebrated in an interpretive “trails through time” route, which passes through the refuge.
- Charlestown Breachway Campground (401-364-7000): Located on east side of the breachway, the campground features facilities for self-contained RVs, access to some of the best saltwater fishing in South County, a saltwater beach and a panoramic view of Block Island Sound. Also has boat launch with limited parking.
- Hungry Haven (401-364-3609)
- Nordic Lodge (401-783-4515)
- Kingston Pizza (401-364-7300)
- Charlestown Famous Pizza (401-364-0020)
- Nordic Lodge (401-783-4515)
- Charlestown Chamber of Commerce (401-364-3878)