Coast Guard Cutter Campbell Logs Busy Atlantic Patrol

Campbell crewmembers medically evacuated an injured fisherman from this vessel off Atlantic City, New Jersey. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Coast Guard Cutter Campbell.

The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Campbell are home after completing a busy 55-day fisheries and search-and-rescue patrol in the northern Atlantic Ocean.

The Campbell, a 270’ medium-endurance cutter based in Kittery, Maine, departed October 24 for the patrol and arrived in Boston on Saturday, December 17.

Campbell crewmembers during a rescue off the Coast of New Jersey. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Coast Guard Cutter Campbell.

During the patrol, Campbell‘s crew boarded 54 commercial fishing vessels to ensure safety equipment, fishing gear, and catch limits were in compliance with federal requirements.

On December 14, crewmembers medically evacuated an injured fisherman who had lost 2 fingers and severely injured a third in an accident off the coast of Atlantic City, New Jersey. Following the radio call for help from the fishing vessel Kennedy Hellen, the Campbell’s crew was on scene in less than an hour to administer first aid. A Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City helicopter crew safely transported the fisherman to Atlantic City Medical Center for treatment.

“Because we were able to reach the fisherman quickly and our corpsman did a great job administering first aid, the man was able to get the advanced medical treatment he needed quickly,” said Cmdr. Kurtis Virkaitis, the Campbell’s commanding officer. “Fortunately the ER was able to repair the severely injured finger and reattach 1 of the 2 severed fingers.”

The Campbell‘s crewmembers also towed 2 disabled fishing boats to safety when they became stranded off shore.

The first took the cutter crew about a day and a half to tow the vessel in 7’-8’ seas from approximately 60 miles east of Cape Cod to Cape Cod Bay, after the boat’s engine broke down.

The second tow took the crew about 12 hours to complete after the fishing boat’s nets became entangled in the propeller approximately 50 miles south of Montauk, New York. The vessel was towed to Block Island.
Share this Article On Facebook Twitter More...

Follow New England Boating:

Like New England Boating on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Receive our Daily RSS Feed.