Coast Guard Releases Boston Light Repair Details
May 15, 2014
As part of the 2016 tricentennial celebration of Boston Light, the Coast Guard has launched a $1.1 million project to repair and renovate structures on Little Brewster Island.
The ongoing refurbishment plan includes an underground storage-tank remediation, a new exterior coating to the lighthouse, new cedar roofs on all structures, new windows in the lighthouse keeper’s quarters and painting of all structures.
The installation of a new sewage-treatment plant and temporary roof repairs have already been completed.
The lighthouse projects and other tricentennial preparations have been organized through the Boston Light Tricentennial Planning Group, which includes members from:
- U.S. Coast Guard
- National Park Service
- Boston Harbor Island Alliance
- Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Friends of Boston Harbor Islands
- City of Boston
- Boston Marine Society
- Hull Lifesaving Museum
Boston Light was established on September 14, 1716. It became a National Historic Landmark in 1964. In 1989, Congress decreed Boston Light be operated on a permanently manned basis. It remains the last U.S. Coast Guard-manned lighthouse in the country and is still a major aid to navigation at the entrance to Boston Harbor. Due to the ongoing repairs, Boston Light will not be open for public tours during the summer of 2014.
For more information on Boston Light and the tricentennial planning, visit www.bostonharborislands.org and Coast Guard Sector Boston Homeport. Media wishing to access the light may contact BostonLightTricentennial@uscg.mil.