Coast Guard Safety Boardings Yield Multiple Violations
November 29, 2011
Station Cape Cod Canal crews conducted 19 safety boardings and issued 16 violations over the Thanksgiving weekend.
The violations included:
- Four violations for not having a Type IV throwable flotation device
- Two violations for not having a sound-producing device
- Three violations for not having valid boat registration
- Four violations for not having visual distress signals, such as flares
- Three violations for missing or non-operational fire extinguishers
All of the vessels without operational fire extinguishers had their voyages terminated.
“I’m extremely proud of the work my crews did this weekend, but concerned about what we saw,” said Chief Petty Officer Robert Holland, officer in charge, Station Cape Cod Canal. “With the water and air temperatures falling, boaters need to be prepared.”