East Greenwich Names & Numbers
December 3, 2015
Charts: NOAA 13221
East Greenwich is located on the western shore of Narragansett Bay, just southwest of Warwick, with which it shares Greenwich Bay, and roughly 10 nautical miles north of Wickford. Boaters approaching from the east, south or west should enter Narragansett Bay via the West Passage, passing west of Beavertail Point on Conanicut Island (Jamestown) and east of Boston Neck. Head north past Fox Island to port, and then steer slightly north of west for approximately 2 nautical miles past the entrance to Wickford Harbor, which is marked by red gong “2”. The entrance to Greenwich Bay is about 7 nautical miles north of Wickford, and is marked by the Fl G “1”. Keep the buoy to port when entering the bay, and follow the channel markers to enter Warwick Cove (roughly due north), Apponaug Cove (to the west) or Greenwich Cove (to the southwest). From the north, access the area by passing between Warwick Point and Prudence Island. Turn at buoy “1” to enter Greenwich Bay. When entering Greenwich Cove, be sure to stay within the channel and be careful of the shoal that extends south of Chepiwanoxet Point, just west of R “7”.
- Contact the East Greenwich harbormaster by phone or VHF to find out if moorings are available in Greenwich Cove. There is a public landing with four feet MLW and a launch ramp located near the southern end of Greenwich Cove, on Crompton Rd., south of the marinas and next to the sewage-treatment plant. From here it’s a short walk into town. Tie-up is officially one hour, but if you call the harbormaster he may grant you a longer stay.
- Norton’s Shipyard & Marina (401-884-8828; VHF 9): Full-service marina offering transient slips and moorings. Facilities include showers, haulout, free WiFi, boat and engine repairs, pump-out and a marine store. Close to downtown.
- East Greenwich Yacht Club (401-884-7700, VHF 9): Offers a public gas dock (open 8:00 a.m. to sunset), as well as moorings and slips for visitors from reciprocating clubs.
- Safe Harbor Greenwich Bay Marina (401-884-1810, VHF 9): Large full-service marina offering transient slips, gas, ice, picnic area, laundry, free WiFi, provisions, showers and restrooms, haulout, onsite restaurant, swimming pool.
- Greenwich Cove Marina (401-885-6611)
- Milt’s Marina (401-885-3700): Offers transient slips.
- East Greenwich Marina (401-885-2911): Offers transient slips.
- Apponaug Harbor Marina (401-739-5005): Located in Warwick, on Apponaug Cove. Offers transient slips and moorings, gas, ice and bait.
- Ponaug Marina (401-884-1976): Located in Warwick on Apponaug Cove. Offers a gas dock, onsite bait & tackle shop (Ray’s), launch ramp and parking.
- New England Yacht Rigging (401-884-1112): Full-service rigging shop on Greenwich Cove.
- Most of the bay’s deep-water spots are filled with moorings, but shallow-draft vessels may be able to find protected spots deep inside Greenwich Cove or off Goddard Neck.
- Crompton Road Ramp: Near the head of Greenwich Cove, next to the sewage-treatment plant. Free concrete-slab ramp with parking and a floating courtesy dock. Wheelchair accessible. One-hour tie-up for unattended vessels. Toilet.
- Goddard Memorial State Park: Small, free ramp suitable for kayaks, canoes and skiffs.
- There’s another small, free ramp for launching kayaks, canoes and small skiffs on Apponaug Cove off Post Road, just before the railroad bridge.
- Kayaks and canoes can be launched at Arnolds Neck Waterfront Park, also on Apponaug Cove.
- Ponaug Marina offers a good deep-water ramp on Apponaug Cove, but charges a fee for launch and parking.
- The Kayak Centre (Wickford) (401-295-440): Kayak tours and sales.
- Finn’s Harborside (401-884-6363): Dock & dine overlooking Greenwich Cove.
- BLU on the Water: fresh, local seafood delivered daily, as well as a variety of delicious non-seafood options, including both vegan and gluten-friendly dishes. Live music seven days a week. Glass fire pits, tornado torches, fresh ingredients, and a lengthy cocktail list make for an intimate setting overlooking scenic Greenwich Bay. Full raw bar, complementary valet and transient dockage.
- Jigger’s Diner (401-884-5388)
- Masthead Grill & Creamery (401-884-1424): Ice cream and fried fare on Post Road.
- Chelo’s Waterfront Bar & Grille (401-884-3000): Large, popular eatery located at Safe Harbor Greenwich Bay Marina.
- Old Kent County Courthouse, 125 Main Street: This building, which now hosts the town offices, was where Rhode Islanders signed their version of the Declaration of Independence.
- Greenwich Odeum (401-885-9119): Performing arts center on Main Street
- Goddard Memorial State Park: Offers miles of hiking and biking trails, picnic facilities, a gold course, restrooms, a small launch ramp and beach.
National Historic Places in East Greenwich:
- Armory of Kentish Guard: The Kentish Guard Armory on Peirce St. was built in 1843 with the sum of $1,000 donated by the General Assembly to the Kentish Guards. The Greek Revival style of the armory is considered by architectural historians to be of outstanding architectural value and of great historic value at the national level. The building has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1971. The armory is unique since it is believed to be the only armory of its kind built during this period just prior to the Mexican War. Little has been done to change it over the years. The gallery of pictures in the armory are especially interesting. Former members of the Guard are featured. The original charter hangs on the wall as a lasting reminder and a memorial to those men who organized the Kentish Guards in 1774.
- Richard Briggs Farm: Briggs Farm is located on South Road in the very Southern part of East Greenwich, abutting its border with North Kingstown. The 72-acre property contains buildings, structures, and landscape elements ranging in date from the early 18th to mid 20th century. They include a farmhouse and bank farm (both ca. 1735-1755 with later additions and alterations), and outbuilding (probably an icehouse built ca. 1860), dry-laid stone walls (18th and 19th centuries), the Briggs family burying ground (dating to ca. 1715), and at least 2 wells of unknown age.
- Massie Wireless Station: The Massie Wireless Station was built in Point Judith, Rhode Island, in 1907 and is the oldest surviving working wireless station in the world. It is now part of the New England Wireless and Steam Museum. The Massie Wireless Station provided communications to steamboats that traveled between New York City and New England cities. In 1983 the wireless station was moved to the New England Wireless and Steam Museum at 1300 Frenchtown Road in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, to avoid demolition.
- Clement Weaver-Daniel Howland House: A historic stone-ender timber frame house built in 1679. Located at 125 Howland Road, it is the oldest documented dwelling house in Kent County, and the second oldest home in Rhode Island.
- Visit Rhode Isalnd
- State of Rhode Island
- If you can find it, “A Cruising Guide to Narragansett Bay and the South Coast of Massachusetts”, by Lynda and Patrick Childress (International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press, $37.95), is a good reference to the area’s nautical attractions, although a bit outdated.