Edgartown Light Celebrates 75 Years
June 19, 2014
It might not call for cake and ice cream, but Edgartown Light in Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard, is celebrating a birthday of sorts. It has been 75 years since the lighthouse was first lit on June 16, 1939, according to an article on MVGazette.com.
The original Edgartown lighthouse was built in 1828. But in 1938, the lighthouse was in disrepair, and the Coast Guard discussed demolishing the lighthouse and replacing it with a prefabricated steel tower. The town rallied against the idea, and in the end, the original Edgartown lighthouse was replaced in 1939 by an 1875 cast iron conical light floated in by barge from Ipswich in Essex County.
Read more about the 75th anniversary of Edgartown Light.