Event of the Week: 2014 East End, Long Island, Seaport Museum Maritime Festival
September 15, 2014
The East End Seaport Museum in Greenport, NY, will hold its 25th Seaport Museum Maritime Festival from Sept. 19 to Sept. 21.
The kick-off Gala tales place on Friday night, September 19 on Claudio’s waterfront. Twenty-five restaurants, 6 wineries and 3 spirit sponsors will share the wealth of land and sea along with the debut of Greenport Harbor Brewing Company’s “Bug Light Ale” created for the Festival weekend. The event will also feature auctions, raffles, photo booths, and a live broadcast from WEHM.
Other highlights include:
- Parade led by Grand Marshal Otto Schoenstein and filled with Little Merfolk contestants.
- Film Screening “Saturday night at the movies” will feature a trio of original documentaries.
- Mermaid and Pirate breakfast “fun-raiser,” at Front Street Station, 8:30 and 9:30 on Sunday morning. The event will fund the new Paul Drum Nautical Education Program, created to teach children about safety and the ecology of the seas around us.
- Shuck Off!: 1st Annual Little Creek Oyster Shucking Competition Sunday at 11:30
Also don’t miss:
- Bug Light “Best of Italy” Raffle
- Street Vendors
- Displays of historic, hand-worked boats, and modern fiberglass hulled boats.
- Captian Kidd’s Craft Ally for children
- Model ship building demonstrations
- Sail-a-ways with several different ships in port
- Lighthouse Tours
- Kayak Derby
- Snapper Fishing Contest
- Merfolk Contest
- Live Music
- ALTOUR Travel Show
For more information go to the Seaport Museum’s website.