Event of the Week: National Safe Boating Week
May 18, 2017
The 2017 National Safe Boating Week kicks off this Saturday, May 20.
Throughout the coming week, boating safety advocates across the U.S. and Canada are teaming up to promote safe and responsible boating, including consistent life jacket wear—the simplest lifesaving strategy in boating.
From family-friendly events at marinas to kayak safety clinics to free vessel safety checks, the week is packed with lifesaving messages about responsible boating. National Safe Boating Week also marks the launch of the 2017 North American Safe Boating Campaign. This yearlong campaign promotes safe and responsible boating and the value of voluntary, consistent life jacket wear by recreational boaters.
The North American Safe Boating Campaign offers a variety of free and paid resources to support local boating safety education efforts. Public service announcements are also available.
A sampling of events being held throughout New England this Saturday:
- Open House at USCG Sector Long Island Sound: An annual event promoting safe boating hosted by the CT Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Contact: Gwendolynn Flynn, email@example.com
- Life jacket challenge at Portland City Hall: Portlanders wearing life jackets will assemble at noon on the steps of the Robert Ganley Plaza at Portland City Hall to snap a photo for Ready, Set, Wear It! World Record Life Jacket Day, in an attempt to break the world record for number of life jackets worn on the same day. Contact: Rosanne Graef, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safe Boating Day Open House at Station Gloucester: Members of the Coast Guard, Coast Auxiliary, Mass Environmental Police, and local First Responders team-up to present their programs and opportunities to attendees. Starts at 12:30 PM. Contact: John Keys, email@example.com
- Free Vessel Safety Checks at the Sandwich Marina: The Coast Guard Auxiliary will be offering free vessel safety checks at the Sandwich Marina from 9 AM-4 PM. Contact: Neal O’Brien, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer training for kayak program at Mount Sunapee Resort: The New England Healing Sports Association (NEHSA) will offer training for those interested in helping out with its recreational kayaking program. Contact: Lex Bundschuh, email@example.com
For the full state-by-state listing of boating safety events taking place, click here.