The Third Annual Western Maine Fly Fishing Expo will be held this Saturday (March 22, 2014) at the Bethel Inn Resort in Bethel, Maine. Vendors include numerous sporting lodges and camps, guides and outfitters, fly shops, fly-tying materials, artists and makers of fly-fishing accessories and gear.
Admission is $5 (children under 15 are free)
The Expo is also a stop on the Fly Fishing Film Tour, which will air its premier episode at 7:00 p.m.
Funds generated by the Western Maine Fly Fishing Expo has helped the Mollyockett Chapter of Trout Unlimited raise close to $20,000 in 2013. As a result, the chapter was able to complete the following projects:
- Removal of a dam to open up prime spawning water in a Crooked River tributary.
- Replacement of an elevated culvert on Aldrich Brook near Aziscohos Lake, again allowing fish access to prime spawning waters.
- Sponsoring a child at Maine Trout Camp.
- Funding an afterschool fly-tying program for middleschoolers at the Telstar School in Bethel, Maine.
- Teaching fly-casting lessons at the University of Maine 4H Camp in Bryant Pond, Maine.
- Participating with the Sebago Chapter of TU and the Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife in the reclamation project at Abbots Pond, Maine.
- Completing a landlocked salmon red count on Swett Brook in Albany, Maine.
* Sponsoring a river clean up day on the Little Androscoggin River in South Paris, Maine.
For more information go to the Western Maine Fly Fishing Expo website.