Free Launch Tender Training Offered in RI
January 26, 2017
Confident Captain/OceanPros, a maritime safety, licensing and training firm, is teaming up with the Rhode Island Marine Trades Association to hold a 5-day launch tender training course in February 2017.
Those who successfully complete the course will have the tools they need to safely and legally operate a launch in Rhode Island and other waters, according to a company release. This is the second year of the collaboration. Expenses for the course and associated licensing will be reimbursed.
The comprehensive course will take a maximum of 15 students through the steps they need to become a launch tender.Training includes:
- A 16-hour USCG Limited Master (launch tender) course;
- An 8-hour USCG/STCW approved first aid/CPR course;
- An 8-hour safe boating course with an exam proctored by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management;
- An FCC Marine Radiotelephone Operator’s exam (FCC/MROP);
- One day of license application and submission consultation;
- Confident Captain and RIMTA will provide placement assistance to students who successfully complete the program.
- A drug test must be taken, at a facility contracted by Confident Captain and RIMTA;
- A United States Coast Guard physical is required;
- Applicants must be 17 or older, must be unemployed or underemployed, and must have 120 days of service on small vessels. Ninety of those days must be in the past 3 years.
- Application Process
- With the class size capped at 15, competition for spots is expected to be tight. Confident Captain’s marine professionals will interview applicants prior to acceptance into the program
- Key Dates:
- Applications must be submitted to Confident Captain no later than February 3, 2017. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for the application form. Once accepted, students will receive an email containing drug test and physical forms, which need to be completed prior to February 10, 2017.
- The course runs from Saturday, Feb. 11 to Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017, at Confident Captain offices, 344 Aquidneck Ave., Middletown. All applications and receipts for reimbursement must be submitted on the first day of class.
- On the final day, Confident Captain will host a “meet and greet” breakfast for marinas and yacht clubs that have a demand for launch operators during the coming season. It will be held at Confident Captain’s Newport facility.
- Contact: Send an email to Captain@confidentcaptain.com. Please, no telephone calls.