MA to Begin 2015 Spring Trout Stocking
April 2, 2015
Close to 500,000 brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout will be stocked this spring (2015) from MassWildlife’s 5 hatcheries located in Sandwich, Palmer, Belchertown, Sunderland and Montague.
According to a MassWildlife newsletter, it has been a challenging year for the hatcheries given the extremely cold, icy and snowy conditions. Due to the delayed spring thaw, trout stocking may not begin in most areas of the state until the first week in April. Nevertheless, the close to 500,000 fish being stocked this spring, coupled with the more than 67,000 12+ inch trout stocked last fall, should provide some excellent fishing in the coming months.
Watch a video on the Sandwich, MA, trout hatchery and stocking program:
Anglers can check the trout stocking schedule online, or contact individual district offices for the latest stocking information. Trout stocking schedules will be updated at noon every Friday between the end of March and Memorial Day in May.
2015 spring trout stocking stats:
- 45% of the fish average over 14”
- 72% of the fish average over 12”
- 218,000 rainbows will average over 14”
- 46,500 rainbows will average over 12”
- 10,000 rainbows will average between 9” and 12”
- 750 brown trout will be over 18”
- 46,600 brown trout will average over 12”
- 79,400 brown trout average between 9” and 12”
- 1,350 brook trout will average over 15”
- 37,600 brook trout will average over 12”
- 47,000 brook trout between 9” and 12”
- 2,500 tiger trout that will average over 14”