The Belfast Rotary Club will hold its annual Harbor Fest on August 15, 16 and 17, 2014.
The festivities kick off with a Launch Party sponsored by Three Tides and Marshall Wharf Brewing under the big tent at Steamboat Landing on the Belfast Harbor on Friday night, with multiple bands and lots of fun. Here are some other noteworthy events during the weekend-long celebration:
5K Bug Run
- On Saturday there will be a 5K Bug Run through Belfast starting at at 8:30 a.m. To help runners fuel up, a Blueberry Pancake Breakfast will be served in the Boathouse at Steamboat Landing from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
National Boatbuilding Contest
- The highlight for many will be the National Boat Building Contest, where contestants must build a boat in 4 hours. The event happens at Steamboat Landing on Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. The boats are then launched to compete in a relay race. Entry fee is $150 entry fee, and scholarships are available; all materials and directions are provided.
Cardboard Boat Challenge
- Fire up your creativity, put a team together and build a cardboard boat. Trophies are awarded for most creative, best team spirit, and most spectacular sinking. Takes place Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in Heritage Park. Sponsored by Front Street Shipyard.
- Listen to local and regional groups and individual musicians at the Friday night (August 15) Launch Party Celebration, sponsored by 3 Tides & Marshall’s Wharf under the tent. Musicians will also perform in the Steamboat Landing Gazebo all day on Saturday.
- Vendors will serve up a variety of local food and drink. Start on Friday night at the Launch Party celebration, then nosh your way through the events on Saturday and finish with the lobster served for Sunday lunch by Habitat for Humanity.
- Kids can make a boat to sail in the Gutter Race. There will also be face painting, a Bounce House, hula hoops and lessons on how to make rope and tie knots.