Here are the first 3:
BEST BEGINNERS’ STRIPER SURFCASTING IN MAINE
- Try surfcasting on Half Mile Beach abutting the Little River in coastal Maine’s Reid State Park near Bath. Warmer water flowing from the river attracts smaller schools of striped bass in June and July and larger brethren from late August into fall. Some say the fishing’s better in fog. “It could be the fish see the bait in a different way,” says park manager Samantha Wilkinson, “but there is a certain Zen to it.”
- (207-371-2303, parksandlands.com)
BEST BASS FROM THE SHORE IN MASSACHUSETTS
- Ten minutes from Worcester, Wachusett Reservoir draws anglers for all sorts of fish, but late May and June is prime largemouth and smallmouth bass time along the well-protected shore of the deep, 8-mile-long body of water. “This is a great natural area not far from civilization,” says Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation regional director John Scannell. Though there’s no boating or wading in the reservoir (which supplies drinking water to the Boston area), there’s plenty of walk-to shore fishing. When the surface water warms up, the bass become more accessible and active in the shallow flats, says MassWildlife biologist Todd Richards. There are plenty of panfish in summer, too.
- (978-365-3800, mass.gov/dcr (DCR); 508-389-6300, mass.gov/dfwele/DFW (MassWildlife)
BEST TROPHY TROUT IN VERMONT
- The state’s trophy trout program stocks 1,000 2-year-old rainbow and brown trout twice yearly at the headwaters of north-flowing Otter Creek—Vermont’s longest and largest river system—accessible from a pair of Route 7 parking areas on the Danby-Mount Tabor line. It’s “cold quality trout habitat,” says Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department biologist Shawn Good. Bring waders.
- (802-241-3700, vtfishandwildlife.com)
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on BoatingLocal, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!