The Mattapoisett Yacht Club of Mattapoisett, Massachusetts, is offering a “Learn to Race” sailing program this spring.
The program is designed to bring together sailboat owners and interested participants who wish to experience the thrill of sailboat racing. The first meeting for boat owners and potential crew will be held at the Mattapoisett Library on May 17 at 10:00 a.m.
Boat owners will learn the basics of sailboat racing, including:
- How to register your boat
- PHRF and Portsmouth handicapping
- Different racing divisions
- Race course basics
- Start and finish protocol
- Getting crew
- MYC racing events
Interested boat owners and potential crewmembers should email Bob Warren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MYC has 2 signature nights of racing throughout the summer.
- TUESDAY: Ensign one design class
- WEDNESDAY: PHRF Series, which features 3 classes of handicapped boats over 20′ and Portsmouth handicap for small boats including Herreshoffs and Bullseyes.
Racing begins at 6 pm and usually last 1-2 hours (sunsets are included ). The starting area is just outside Mattapoisett Harbor with full spectator viewing from Ned’s Point. Typically after race gatherings are held at the MYC clubhouse or the local watering hole.
Visit www.mattapoisettyc.org for a calendar of racing and social events.
Watch a video on kids learning to sail at the MattSail Summer Sailing Camp.