The Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Foundation (RISF) will sponsor the 2013 Southern New England Recreational Fishing Symposium, to be held April 2 at the Radisson Airport Hotel in Warwick.
The RISAF hopes the event will highlight the economic importance of recreational fishing in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, as well as assist fisheries managers in collecting reliable recreational fishing data that would allow for consistent fishing regulations, thus improving the recreational fishing industry and its positive impacts.
The symposium objectives include:
- Characterize the value and economic impact that recreational fishing has and could have.
- Share what is known about recent research and available information regarding the nature and management of the Southern New England recreational fishery.
- Present and discuss three elements that, if addressed properly, are key to the recreational fishing industry’s future success.
- Begin to build an Action Plan that takes action on these elements, which the RI Saltwater Anglers Association can implement with its membership and partners.
The one-day, invitation-only Recreational Fishing Symposium is jointly hosted by the Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Association, the NOAA Northeast Region Ocean Council, and the URI Coastal Institute. It will bring together national, regional and state organizations, in addition to recreational fishing representatives, to identify problems, propose solutions and set a course for future cooperation.
The initial group of participants will include representatives from (in no particular order):
- NOAA Northeast Region Oceans Council
- NOAA Fisheries, Northeast Region
- Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries
- Massachusetts Striped Bass Associatin
- Rhode Island Governor’s Office
- Rhode Island Legislature
- Rhode Island Division of Marine Fisheries
- Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council
- Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Assocation
- Rhode Island Party & Charter Boat Association
- Stellwagen Bank Charter Boat Association
- • Representatives from numerous Massachusetts and R.I.
- recreational fishing clubs
- • Advisors from several U.S. Senators and Congressmen
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on BoatingLocal, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!