On November 6, 2012, Massachusetts Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) Secretary Rick Sullivan announced $122,000 in federal grants to help 5 South Coast communities protect and restore Buzzards Bay.
The grants include:
- $35,000 to acquire and permanently protect 19.5 acres of wetlands and forest in 2 parcels of land in the Mattapoisett River Valley aquifer.
- $20,000 to develop engineering designs to treat stormwater discharge at Drift Road.
- $20,000 to develop engineering designs to treat stormwater discharge in the downtown Wareham Village area.
- $3,000 for a real estate appraisal on a 28.4-acre property along the shores of the Weweantic River for a land protection project.
- $17,000 to help the town complete a comprehensive feasibility study as part of an effort to restore permanent tidal flushing to a salt pond at the corner of Gulf Road and Smith Neck Road.
- $27,000 to the Town of Carver for a study on nutrient loss from cranberry bogs to groundwater in the Weweantic and Wareham River watersheds.
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on BoatingLocal, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!