Atlantic coastal states from Maine through Georgia have scheduled their hearings to gather public comment on Draft Addendum III to the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for American Eel.
The Draft Addendum proposes a wide range of management options with the goal of reducing mortality and increasing the conservation of American eel stocks across all life stages. Specific management options focus on both the commercial (glass, yellow, and silver eel life stages) and recreational American eel fisheries. The document also proposes increased monitoring by the states and recommendations to improve American eel habitat.
The dates, times, and locations of the scheduled meetings in the Northeast:
Maine Department of Marine Resources
- April 15, 2013; 9 AM – Noon: Ellsworth City Hall Auditorium, 1 City Hall Avenue, Ellsworth, Maine • Contact: Terry Stockwell at 207.624.6553
- April 15, 2013; 2 – 5 PM: University of Maine – Machias, Science Lecture Hall, Room 102, 9 O’Brien Avenue, Machias, Maine • Contact: Terry Stockwell at 207.624.6553
- April 19, 2013; 1 – 4 PM: Yarmouth Log Cabin, 196 Main Street, Yarmouth, Maine • Contact: Terry Stockwell at 207. 624.6553
New Hampshire Fish and Game
- April 15, 2013; 7 PM: Urban Foresty Center, 45 Elwyn Center, Portsmouth, New Hampshire • Contact: Doug Grout at 603.868.1095
Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries
- April 23, 2013; 6 – 8 PM: Bourne Public Library ,19 Sandwich Road, Meeting Room, Bourne, Massachusetts • Contact: Nichola Meserve at 617.626.1531
Rhode Island Division of Fish and Wildlife
- April 29, 2013; 6 PM: URI Narragansett Bay Campus, Corless Auditorium, South Ferry Road, Narragansett, Rhode Island • Contact: Phil Edwards at 401.789.0281
For more information on the draft addendum CLICK HERE (pdf).
The public comment deadline is 11:59 PM (EST) on May 2, 2013 and should be forwarded to Kate Taylor, Senior Fishery Management Plan Coordinator, 1050 N. Highland St., Suite 200 A-N, Arlington, VA 22201; 703.842.0741 (FAX) or at firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: American Eel). Final action on the Addendum is scheduled to occur in May. For more information, please contact Kate Taylor at email@example.com or 703.842.0740.
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on BoatingLocal, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!