Norwalk Boat Show a Go!
September 23, 2010
The Norwalk Boat Show kicks off today and runs through this weekend, Sept. 24-26, in Norwalk, Connecticut. The show, which is held at Norwalk Cove Marina, features hundreds of exhibitors and lots of fun events and seminars. Attendees will find great deals on boats and gears, plus contests and giveaways.
Affordability Pavilion: Think owning a boat is out of reach? Think again! The Affordability Pavilion showcases boats you can own for less than $250 per month.
- “Be a Diver” Pool: Kids 10 and older and adults can give SCUBA a try in this heated pool.
- Time Bandit Race Boat: See the all-new Time Bandit offshore racing boat and meet her racing team. The 30-foot Phantom will hit speeds in the mid-90s as it races through Norwalk Harbor. Team Time Bandit recently set a speed record in Chattanooga, reaching a top speed of 98.64 mph. The team will be on hand to meet fans and sign autographs throughout the show.
Miss GEICO Race Boat: See the 40-foot, turbine-powered Miss GEICO, which took the offshore racing scene by storm in the spring of 2006 and proceeded to demolish record after record.The boat hits speeds of 180 mph. Miss GEICO set a new speed record from Annapolis to Baltimore, covering the rough water course in 14 minutes and 7 seconds.
- Boating history: Step back in time to admire the craftmanship and beauty of bygone eras as a variety of vintage craft will be displayed both on land and in the water. Highlights include an 1899 Elco electric launch and a fully restored 1937 Syracuse Electric launch.
Meet SpongeBob: Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants will be on hand to greet fans and pose for pictures Saturday and Sunday, September 25–26, from 11 am–3 pm.
- Kids Boating and Fun Area: Kids can splash around and navigate a mini lake in their own paddleboat. The Kids Cove features a bounce house and sand art center.
- Free sailboat rides: See for yourself why “Life’s better with a boat.” Sign up to enjoy a free 30-minute excursionm compliments of Rex Boating Club.
- Fish Tales: Share your best fishing story with fellow anglers, pro fisherman and a guy who has a lot of stories of his own — Russell Newberry, star deckboss from the hit show “Deadliest Catch.” If the judges think you have the best story, you’ll walk away with a Garmin 540 GPS valued at $600. The runner-up will receive a $280 Cape Fear Storm 3-in-1 jacket and third place will receive a deluxe light tackle cooler. Contest will held Sunday, September 26 at 1 pm in the Special Event Hall.
- Hours: 10 am- 6 pm daily.
- Tickets: $12 adult; children under 15 free.
Water taxi service:
- If you plan to visit the show by boat, there are free gust moorings in Norwalk Harbor designated by an orange buoy. You can hail the water taxi for a ride to the docks by on VHF 72. The cost is $5 per person round trip. Service is offered by Marra G, Spirit of America & Nautical Wheeler (identified by a safety-orange flag).