From the south, head for R N “2” off Scraggy Neck, then turn due east to pick up RG N “ER” (Eustis Rock).
From the Cape Cod Canal, round Wings Neck and head for RG N “ER”.
From RG N “ER” turn southeast and pick up GC “1” and the channel, which curves sharply as you round the broad sand flat off the southern tip of Bassetts. Do not stray from the channel, as it’s bordered by shallows on either side, plus a few notorious rocks. Follow the channel north along the east side of Bassetts and then around the sharp dogleg east and into Red Brook, where you will see the large buildings of Kingman Yacht Center dead ahead. The Chart Room and transient dockage is located just north of main buildings. Parker’s Boat Yard is just south of Kingman.
Charts: NOAA 13236
- Kingman Yacht Center (508-563-7136): Large, full-service marina. Can accommodate boats up to 180’. Offers transient dockage and moorings, gas and diesel, showers, ship’s store, launch service, haulout, water, electric, WiFi and pumpout. KYC is also home to The Chart Room restaurant and offers a host of activities during the summer, including a fishing tournament and the BassAckwards sailboat race.
To watch a short video on Kingman Yacht Center, CLICK HERE.
- Parker’s Boat Yard (508-563-9366): Full-service yacht yard offering gas and diesel, ice, showers, service, transient moorings and dockage, pumpout, ship’s store and restrooms.
- There are 3 protected anchorages in Red Brook Harbor: 1 is tucked into the eastern shore of Bassetts in 9’ to 13’ of water; another is in the small cove on the north side of Bassetts in 7’ to 14’ of water, and there’s a 3rd shallow-water anchorage inside Hen’s Cove in 5’ of water. If winds are from the east or due north or south, you can also anchor along southwest side of Bassetts, in 5’ to 8’. All of these spots offer sand/gravel bottom.
- (508-759-0621 ext. 312) VHF 9
- Harbormaster Bourne
- There are no state ramps on Red Brook Harbor. Barlow’s Landing, in the eastern end of Pocasset Harbor, has a good town ramp with floats and a dinghy dock, but is for stickered residents only. There is a 15-minute tie-up limit.
- A second, very small ramp is located at Parker’s Boat Yard. This is also a town ramp, and there is only space for 2 vehicles.
Red Brook is an ideal area for paddling, as it offers lots of protected water and scenic coves to explore. However, beware the southwest winds that often kick up in the afternoon, especially if you choose to venture west of Bassetts Island.
- Cape Cod Kayak (508-563-9377): Located in Cataumet on Rte. 28A, Cape Cod Kayak offers lessons, rentals and sales of kayaks and SUPs.
- Bourne Taxi (508-759-4004)
- Pocasset Country Market (508-564-4258): Formerly known as Larry’s, this small but well-stocked market is located a couple miles from the harbor. Good selection of meats, fish, vegetables and more.
- The Chart Room (508-563-5350): Located on the harbor adjacent to Kingman Yacht Center, The Chart Room is a Buzzards Bay institution. Long waits are the norm in summer, and reservations are recommended, but plenty of folks are content with hanging out by the bar or outdoor patio as they wait for a table. Great ambience and a great view, although some may find it noisy.
- Grazziella’s (508-563-5541): Boaters can dock at Barlows Landing (15-minute tie-up) on Pocasset Harbor and grab a pizza or sub to go at Grazziella’s (a quarter-mile up the road) or have it delivered to the landing.
- Bassetts Island: Bassetts Island is open to the public, and is ringed by wonderful sand and cobble beaches and warm, shallow water. This is a great spot for a beach picnic, and kids will love the warm, protected water. Naturally, Bassetts is a popular spot, especially on summer weekends, so it can get a bit rowdy. Note that there are no restrooms on the island, and the interior is thick with poison ivy.