SailMaine Program Registration Opens
March 7, 2011
Portland-based SailMaine is accepting applications for its popular summer sailing programs for kids and adults. Whether you’re looking to make sure your kids have something fun to look forward to this summer, or you want to get out on the water yourselves, now is the time to start planning your summer sailing adventures.
Here are some program and class details:
JUNIOR SAILING PROGRAM:
Runs June 27 to August 19. Here are some new classes offered for 2011:
- Laser class: This class will focus on learning the “ropes” of a laser including boat handling skills, proper rigging and how to race a laser.
- Adventure Class: This is a class for adventurous, experienced sailors who want to sail beyond_the buoys. It’s designed to expose those junior sailors to all aspects of boat handling, navigation and seamanship. The class will culminate in an overnight cruise planned by the sailors.
ADULT SAILING LESSONS:
- The adult program runs from May 16 to Sept 30, for anyone 18 and over. Offers classes for beginner (learn-to-sail) sailors, intermediate sailors and women only classes. Classes take place in our ynglings, Catalina 22, or our Sea Sprite 23. Click for registration or course schedule information.
HIGH SCHOOL VARSITY SAILING:
SailMaine”s HS Program starts on March 21.
- SailMaine is hosting 2011 Atlantic Coast Challenge (ACC), an intersectional regatta featuring 10 High School sailing teams from 3 districts. Expect fine spring sailing, great viewing from Fort Allen Park and the Eastern Promenade, and plenty of on the water 420 action. Check out the Notice of Race (NOR)
- HS Team Race Clinic: March 14 or 16: This is an opportunity for high school sailors to improve their team race skills before the season begins.
Have you taken a SailMaine course before?
What was your experience? Please share that with us below.