Search Suspended for Missing Teen off Newport, RI
August 30, 2012
The Coast Guard has suspended its active search for Theodore Oliviera, 17, at 7:29 p.m. Wednesday after being reported missing Tuesday, August 28.
Oliviera, had last been seen on a dinghy in Newport Harbor at approximately 11 p.m. Monday. He was reported missing to the mother by friends of Oliviera, who had seen him the night before in the dinghy.
Rescue crews searched more than 620.4 square miles with 10 water-borne assets with no sign of Oliviera.
“Its always a difficult decision to suspend a search because we are always focused on locating who we are searching for,” said Senior Chief Petty Officer Jamey Kinney, command duty officer at Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England. “Our thoughts and prayers remain with Mr. Oliviera’s family and friends through this difficult time.”
Searching were crews from:
- Coast Guard Station Castle Hill, R.I.
- Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, Mass., MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter
- Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod HU-25 Falcon aircraft crew
- The 87-foot Coast Guard Cutter Hammerhead, homeported in Woods Hole.
- Narragansett Marine Task Force crews
- Portsmouth Metro Task Force
- Newport Harbormaster
- Newport Fire Department
- Middleton Fire Department
- Warwick Marine
- Jamestown Marine
- North Kingston Marine
- Newport Police Department
Weather on scene was 15-knot winds, 1-foot seas and 72-degree water temperature.
Follow New England Boating:
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on New England Boating, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!