Westbrook Names & Numbers
March 18, 2015
Chart: NOAA 12374
When approaching the Patchogue River inlet from the south or southeast, be mindful of RN “6”, as it marks a line of shallow rocks extending from Duck Island. The channel is well marked and dredged to 11′, but vessels drawing more than 6’ should stay in the middle and proceed with caution at low tide.
The river forks just after the inlet. The Menunketesuck River (5’ MLW) is to port, and leads to the North Yard of Pilots Point Marina and beyond that the Marshview Marina. Marking the junction of the 2 rivers is a GR “M” green/red daymarker. When entering the Menunketesuck, be sure to pass south of the marker or you will run aground. If you stay to starboard and continue north along the Patchogue River, you will see the Pilots Point South Yard fuel dock and the Boom restaurant to starboard, followed by row upon row of slips.
As the channel turns abruptly east at the Town Dock, you will see Harry’s Marine to port followed by the Duck Island Yacht Club. To starboard will be Pilots Point East Yard. A bit farther along the channel is Westbrook Marine Center and the famous Singing Bridge. Only smaller powerboats can pass beyond this point.
- Town Dock: Vessels can tie up at the Town Dock on the Patchogue River for up to 2 hours at no charge.
- Westbrook Marine Center (860-399-8467): Full-service marina with 68 slips on the Patchogue River, just below the Singing Bridge. Storage, service, repair, boat rental.
- Brewer Pilots Point Marina (860-399-7906; VHF 9): Sprawling marina complex comprising 3 (South, North and East) full-service yards. Pilots Point offers gas and diesel, 900 slips, service, storage, pool, floating docks with water and electric hookups, free WiFi, pumpout, restrooms, laundry, showers, pump out and more. Also has activities for children and adults, including yoga (www.seafloweryoga.com), and an onsite restaurant (Boom). To watch a video on Pilots Point, CLICK HERE.
- Dick’s Marina (860-399-6534): Small powerboats only. Offers onsite bait & tackle, kayak rental.
- Harry’s Marine Repair (860-399-6165): Full-service marina with Travelift and fuel dock.
- Marshview Marina (860-399-1111): Small-boat marina on the Menunketesuck River with 40-slip capacity.
- Pier 76 Marina (860-399-7122): Small-boat marina just north of the Rte. 1 bridge over the Patchogue River. Offers storage, service, launch ramp ($15) and more.
- Wetmore’s Marina (860-399-9728): Small powerboat dockage only.
- Harbormaster CLICK HERE
- Duck Island offers a well-protected anchorage with good holding ground behind the breakwater. The current can be quite strong here, so take care when swimming. Note: both Duck and Menunketesuck Islands are designated bird sanctuaries, so shore access is restricted much of the season.
- Kirtland Landing is a small public launch ramp providing access to the Menunketesuck River. The ramp is located approximate 2 miles upstream from the river mouth. Parking is limited.
- A private ramp closer to the river mouth is located at Pier 76 Marina, which charges $15 for launching (in and out).
- Shoprite (Clinton) (860-669-6619)
- Stop & Shop (Clinton) (860-669-2288)
- Essex Taxi (860-767-7433)
- Yellow Cab (860-304-6000)
- Shoreline Taxi (203-453-4674)
- Shoreline Livery LLC (860-304-3322)
- Pier 76 Marina (860-399-7122)
- Westbrook Marine Center (860-399-8467): Rentals of 18’ and 20’ center consoles, by the day, half-day or week.
- Dick’s Marina (860-399-6534)
- Boom (at Pilots Point) (860-399-2322: Open April to October for lunch, dinner and cocktails. Reservations recommended for dinner.
- Café Routier (860-399-8700): Great bar with lounge and fine dining room. Awesome fries!
- Creative Cooking (860-399-7872): If you love New Orleans cooking, this place is a must. Music on weekends, call for details.
- Edd’s Place (860-399-9498): Great breakfasts and famous for its lobster pie. Can make boxed lunches for takeout as well. Tables along the river. Accessible by small boat.
- Bill’s Seafood (860-399-7224): A must-visit in Westbrook! The freshest seafood and a great outdoor bar with music on summer weekends. Tuesdays is the only night without music. Dinghy dock available to customers. No reservations needed. After dinner check out Ashley’s homemade ice cream parlor.
- Lenny & Joe’s Fishtale (860-669-0767): Great seafood, especially the lobster salad plate. Also sells an array of hats and shirts at great prices.
- Turtle Café (860-399-1799): Creative breakfasts.
- Water’s Edge Inn (860-399-5901): Upscale dining inside and casual outdoor bar. Great brunch on Sunday. Bar sometimes has live music.
- Captain Stannard House (860-399-4634): Close to the center of town; beach is a block away.
- Water’s Edge Inn & Spa (860-399-5901): luxury rooms, gorgeous spot directly on the water. Outside bar has music on the weekends. Beautiful waterview dining. Brunch on Sundays.
- Joyride Charters (203-530-5037; http://joyridecharters.com/): Custom sailing charters on Long Island Sound.
- Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge: Easy, scenic hiking trails along marsh.
- Military Historians Westbrook Museum (860-399-9460): Open Tues.-Fri. 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m., or by appointment.