12,000 Pounds of Trash Removed from RI Shores
May 30, 2014
RI NPR: Nearly 12,000 pounds of trash were collected from Rhode Island shores during an international coastal cleanup last September . The Ocean Conservancy, a nonprofit environmental advocacy group, mobilizes this annual cleanup. It recently released its yearly data report highlighting the cleanup’s results.
Highlights from the cleanup report:
- 1,188 volunteers participated in an ICC cleanup
- 11,921 pounds of trash were collected and removed from the shorelines
- 68.4 miles of shoreline were covered by volunteers
- 87,477 total items were collected and documented
- 73.6 items per volunteer, on average, were collected
Read more about the 2014 Rhode Island shore-cleanup report.