2013 Norwalk Oyster Festival This Weekend
September 4, 2013
The 36th annual Norwalk (CT) Seaport Association Oyster Festival will once again celebrate summer’s end. This year’s event will run Friday, September 6, through Sunday, September 8. The Festival offers a wide variety of family activities, including an Arts & Crafts Pavilion, the Kid’s Cove, with rides, games and child-centered entertainment, a food court with everything from Italian favorites to seafood. And, not to be missed, the popular Oyster Slurping and Oyster Shucking contests. New this year for the adults is the Craft Beer Tasting Tent with over 25 beers to sample and brewers to meet.
The festival also offers continuous entertainment by local musicians and national acts. One of many acts on the entertainment line-up, Friday night, the stage comes alive with the sounds of Max Creek bringing together generations of music lovers with their mix of rock, country, reggae, soul, and calypso. On Saturday night, fans who missed The Village People last year due to inclement weather can catch their favorite band of neighborhood guys performing. Sunday’s headliner will be a nightclub favorite, The Zoo, winner of MTV’s Ultimate Cover Band contest.
For the Kids:
- The Norwalk Seaport Association’s Oyster Festival offers entertainment choices for the kid in all of us. Attractions include Pirates Coast Adventure where kids can meet real life pirates, look for booty in treasure hunts, hear storytelling and join in other fun-filled activities. The Kids’ Cove includes games, rides and entertainment including the Backyard Circus. Sunday is Family Day with a special presentation of “The Rejuvenary River Circus” by Arm-of-the-Sea Theater with special family and children’s packages for entrance, rides and meals.
For the Family:
- Returning this year for an encore presentation is the popular Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show featuring logrolling, axe throwing, tree climbing, dragster chain sawing and more. Joining them on the schedule is Eastern Action Sports Team providing visitors with action-packed BMX shows. For slower-paced enjoyment, the Arts and Crafts Pavilion hosts dozens of fine artists and crafters displaying creative and practical items that appeal to all tastes, budgets and ages.
- At the Oyster Pavilion, visitors can learn about Norwalk’s oystering history while cheering for your favorite competitors at the slurping and shucking contests. Something good is always cooking at the festival. Taste-test some of the Festival’s culinary delights such as barbeque, oysters, mussels and clams, and other great food selections available at the Food Court. This culinary fare is prepared by dozens of local nonprofit organizations allowing them to raise funds for their charitable causes.
The event is held at Veteran’s Park, adjacent to Norwalk Harbor on Seaview Avenue in Norwalk, CT.
- Adults: $10 on Friday, $12 on Saturday and Sunday
- Children (5-12): $5
- U.S. military personnel on active duty: Free
- All entertainment included in ticket prices.
- For tickets CLICK HERE.