2020 CT Boater-Safety Course Schedule
January 30, 2020
Connecticut boaters are reminded that a Safe-Boating Certificate is required to legally operate any boat with a motor or a sailboat 19 1/2 feet in length or longer in state waters. This applies to residents and non-residents who wish to operate a boat in CT waters. Residents of Connecticut, persons owning real property in Connecticut, or persons with vessels registered in Connecticut must have one of the following:
- an approved Safe Boating Certificate (SBC)
- a Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation (CPWO)
- a valid vessel operator license issued by the United States Coast Guard
- On inland bodies of water with a 10 horsepower limit and between one hour before sunrise and one hour after sunset, a certificate is not required to operate a boat with an electric motor (rated at 106 lbs. of thrust or less). However, the vessel must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- If you have a valid vessel operator license issued by the United States Coast Guard you are not required to have a Safe Boating Certificate to operate a vessel other than a personal watercraft (eg., Jet Ski, Wave runner, Sea-Doo). You must have the current license on board the recreational vessel you are operating.
Connecticut Combination Safe Boating/Personal Watercraft, Personal Watercraft, Canoe & Kayak Safety Class Schedules
Combination Safe Boating/Personal Watercraft Classes: These classes are at least 8 hours long and range between two and four sessions. They qualify a person for the Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation.
Personal Watercraft (jet ski, sea-doo, wave runner) Classes: Personal Watercraft Classes are 2 1/2 hours long. They are intended for individuals who would like to upgrade their Safe Boating Certificate to the Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation or to be eligible for a temporary personal watercraft certificate for first-time registered owners of a personal watercraft.
Canoe and Kayak Safety Classes: Canoe and Kayak Safety classes are voluntary. They are about 2 hours long and are designed for beginning paddlers whether or not they have taken our other courses.