December 1, 2015
At a Glance: Freeport, Maine
Dockage, Moorings & Service
Brewer South Freeport Marine
- Full-service marina and boatyard offering transient slips, fuel, showers, laundry, repair, hauling and service. Located adjacent to Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster.
Strouts Point Wharf Co.
- Full-service facility offering transient slips and moorings, fuel dock, repair, rigging, hauling and showers.
Harraseeket Yacht Club
- Private club, but moorings may be available.
Ring’s Marine Service
- Mooring service and rental, as well as kayak, canoe and bike rental.
Because of the tidal currents and space limitations, anchoring is not recommended within the Harraseeket River. Contact the harbormaster for specified anchorage areas outside the river.
- The nearest launch site in the Freeport area is at Winslow Park and Campground. The ramp is paved and there is long-term parking on-site. There is a fee, and the water is shallow.
- A small, unpaved ramp with limited short-term parking is located at the South Freeport town landing next to Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster.
- A small put-in for kayaks, canoes and cartop boats can also be found on Burnett Road, where it crosses the Little River.
Ring’s Marine Service
- Sea kayak and canoe rental and sales. Also offers bike rental.
Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster
- Popular harborside restaurant specializing in seafood and fried fare. Dockage available.
- Excellent accommodations in downtown Freeport.
Things to See & Do
- A tour of this historic farm near Mast Landing can be arranged through the Freeport Historical Society.
Mast Landing Audubon Sanctuary
- Off outer Bow Street (Flying Point Road). Tours available through the Maine Audubon Society.
Wolfe’s Neck State Park
- This 230-acre park features five miles of hiking trails that offer stunning views of Casco Bay, as well as opportunities to observe birds and other wildlife, including the osprey nests on Googins Island. There are no official landing sites along the park boundaries.
Winslow Park and Campground
- Town-managed park with waterfront and woodland campsites, as well as sites for large groups. Features hiking trails, a scenic overlook, a boat dock and ramp and parking for trailer rigs. Reservations recommended.