Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival
October 14, 2010
Historic Bowen’s Wharf in downtown Newport, Rhode Island, will host the 20th annual Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival, on October 16th and 17th, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Named one of the “10 Fabulous Fall Festivals on the Coast,” by Coastal Living Magazine (2005), this event is an open invitation to come back to the waterfront after the rush of the summer season.
Honoring the “Harvest of the Sea,” the Bowen’s Wharf Seafood Festival offers copious amounts of seafood, continuous live music, and family fun, all beneath the wharf’s colorful tents. Neighboring restaurants and fishermen’s associations serve up their most celebrated seafood dishes (lobster dinners, clam chowder, stuffed quahogs, clam cakes, shrimp, scallops, raw oysters and clams, as well as a few dishes for landlubbers and kids). Spirits and soft drinks are available. Desserts include tempting pies, ciders, and other baked goods. Cafe-style seating is set up throughout the Wharf.
As you fill your bellies with fresh dishes, sit back and enjoy the beats from area bands. Under the music tent, live folk, Celtic, sea shanties, and blues music are just a taste of what you’ll hear. Rhode Island residents, cruise ship and bus tour groups, and devoted visitors form an estimated attendance of 6,000-8,000 over the course of this two-day event.
The event has free admission, with food and beverages being purchased at vendor booths, and it will go on rain or shine.
For more information:
Saturday, October 16th:
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: The Maher Brothers: Soulful R&B, Reggae, Blues & Country Swing
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Beyond Blonde: Classic Rock & Blues Rock
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.: Chelley, Bill & Dyl: Cool Jazz, Soulful R&B with a Touch of Country
Sunday, October 17th
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.: Jim McGrath & The Reprobates: Traditional & Contemporary Music of the Sea American & British Isles
- 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Atwater-Donnelly Trio: Beyond Blonde: Traditional American FolkMusic & Dance
- 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.: The Maher Brothers: Soulful R&B, Reggae, Blues & Country Swing
Schedule subject to change