Historic Whaling Ship to Return to New Bedford in 2014
December 23, 2013
SouthCoastToday: [New Bedford] harbor was a busy place on July 21, 1841.
Five commercial schooners set out for New York and Philadelphia. Two new whaling ships were launched, one at the Fairhaven shipyard of Fish and Huttleston, the other at the New Bedford shipyard of Jethro and Zacharia Hillman.
The latter was named the Charles W. Morgan after its first owner, a Quaker merchant. In September of that year the Morgan would set out on its first voyage, the first chapter of an odyssey that will eventually, next summer, lead back to the city where she was born.
That first voyage, with a crew made up mostly of Martha’s Vineyard residents, would be typically grueling.
Read more about the Charles Morgan whaling ship’s return to New Bedford.