MA Public Meetings to Focus on Offshore Wind Development
November 12, 2012
Officials of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) will host the U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) for a series of public meetings in Boston, New Bedford, Vineyard Haven, and Nantucket during the week of November 12, 2012.
The goals of the meetings are to provide an overview of the Environmental Assessment (EA) for the Massachusetts Offshore Wind Energy Area, receive public comment, and discuss next steps in the environmental and leasing process. The EA, which was released by BOEM on October 31, 2012, analyzes potential environmental effects associated with renewable energy leasing and data gathering in the designated Wind Energy Area in federal waters off the coast of Massachusetts. The session will include presentations from BOEM followed by a public comment period.
In addition, EEA will host meetings of its fisheries and habitat working groups on offshore renewable energy in New Bedford and Falmouth, respectively. Both working groups were formed by EEA to inform the federal offshore wind development process.
BOEM’s Environmental Assessment for Potential Commercial Wind Lease Issuance and Site Assessment Activities on the Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore Massachusetts can be found by CLICKING HERE. Other information and documents on the planning and leasing process can be found on the same site.
BOEM Public Meeting – Boston
- Tuesday, November 13, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Meeting Centers, Winthrop Room – 4th Floor, 101 Federal Street, Boston
BOEM Public Meeting – New Bedford
- Tuesday, November 13, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Fairfield Inn, Sea Loft Room, 185 MacArthur Drive, New Bedford
Fisheries Working Group
- Wednesday, November 14, 8:00 – 9:30 a.m.
- New Bedford Harbor Development Com, 52 Fisherman’s Wharf, New Bedford
BOEM Public Meeting – Vineyard Haven
- Wednesday, November 14, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Katherine Cornell Theatre, 54 Spring Street, Vineyard Haven
Habitat Working Group
- Thursday, November 15, 10:00 a.m. – noon
- U.S. Geological Survey, Gosnold Lab Building, WHOI Quisset Campus, 360 Woods Hole Road, Falmouth
BOEM Public Meeting – Nantucket
- Thursday, November 15, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Nantucket Police Station, Training Room, 4 Fairgrounds Road, Nantucket
Follow New England Boating:
Don’t forget to sign up for our monthly newsletter!
Each month our emailed newsletter keeps you up to speed on the top news items, videos, destinations, reviews and fishing articles on New England Boating, so you won’t miss a beat. It’s convenient, it’s free, and you can opt out at any time!