Marine & Composites Industry Career Day this Saturday
March 20, 2014
The 9th Annual Marine & Composites Industry Career Day takes place on March 22, 2014, at the IYRS Newport campus.
This free 1-day event, hosted by IYRS School of Technology & Trades and the Rhode Island Marine Trades Association (RIMTA), gives employers an opportunity to connect with career seekers. This spring is expected to be one of the busiest in the boating business in recent years. But just as the marine industry continues its post-recession rebound, there is a shortage of skilled employers to fuel the marine workforce.
It is estimated that by 2020, Rhode Island’s marine industry will need to hire an additional 1800 workers; 71% of those projected hires are baby boomers who are aging out of the workforce and taking their well-honed skills with them. The situation translates to opportunity for skilled workers.
A total of 36 companies from 8 states are attending this year’s Career Day (see list below), and the 2014 event has drawn companies from the largest geographic area in the event’s history.
Career Day attendees can learn about career and training opportunities, attend seminars, and meet employers and industry leaders. Admission is free. The event is designed for individuals at all stages of their careers—from those just considering working in the marine and composites industries, to highly skilled individuals looking for new opportunities.
Please see below for more details.
- WHAT: Marine & Composites Industry Career Day, hosted by the Rhode Island Marine Trades Association (RIMTA) and IYRS
- WHEN: Saturday, March 22 / 10:30 AM to 1 PM
- WHERE: IYRS School of Technology & Trades (449 Thames Street, Newport, R.I.)
SEMINARS & TOURS:
Free seminars with experts and tours of the IYRS campus will be held during the event, according to the following schedule:
- 10:30 AM / TOUR: IYRS campus tour and admissions overview for prospective students.
- 11 AM / SEMINAR: “Navigating Your Job Search in Today’s Economy” with Neal Harrell, Brooks Marine Group
- 12 PM / SEMINAR: “Diversification of the Boatbuilding Industry and the Skills Needed to Succeed in a Changing Environment” with Neal Williamson, Hodgdon Yachts