More Ships to Participate in OpSail 2012
June 26, 2012
OpSail 2012 Connecticut recently added vessels from the Navy and U.S. Coast Guard to the list of vessels taking part in the Parade of Sail, to be held July 7 to July 9 in New London, Connecticut.
OpSail 2012 will arrive in the region when the Parade of Sail visits Niantic on July 6. The festivities proceed to New London on July 7 when the Parade of Sail enters New London Harbor. The weekend’s events will coincide with the annual Sailfest celebration.
The Navy and Coast Guard vessels participating in the event are:
- USS Carter Hall, 609’ dock-landing ship.
- Four U.S. Navy Academy Yard Patrol Craft.
- Coast Guard cutter Morro Bay, 140’ icebreaker.
- Coast Guard cutter Juniper, 225’ patrol boat.
- Coast Guard cutter Ridley, 87’ patrol boat.
- Coast Guard cutter Sailfish, 87’ patrol boat.
Coast Guard participation will include historical information at Fort Trumbull, a flyover of the Parade of Sail by Coast Guard aircraft, and a search and rescue demonstration.
Another 13 vessels have committed to the Parade of Sail, including:
- Freedom Schooner Amistad
- New Horizons, 60’ luxury Tortola motorsailer from Boston
- Regulus, 90’ steel-hulled scallop harvester out of Stonington, CT
- Ticonderoga, 72’ racing yacht
- Tyrone, 75’ yacht based out of Chatham, MA
- Coast Guard barque and training ship Eagle
- Brazilian naval training ship Cisne Branco
- Schooners Argia, Brilliant, Spirit, Meerwald, Appledore V, Wolf
Ships will be open for visits at Fort Trumbull, State Pier, and City Pier with shuttle buses running to the vessels.