Nantucket Harbor Names & Numbers
January 7, 2014
NOAA Chart 13242
If approaching Nantucket Harbor from the west, use the Cross Rip Channel, between Cross Rip Shoal and Horseshoe Shoal. Keep Tuckernuck Shoal to starboard as you plot a course for the red-white “NB” harbor entrance buoy. The twin jetties flanking the harbor entrance are 1.7 miles south-southeast of the buoy. If traveling after dark, take care to get your bearings and line up the navigational lights (there are also a set of range markers on Brant Point) correctly before making your approach, lest you find yourself hard aground on the jetties or surrounding shallows, which unwary boaters do each season. Also be aware of ferries and large private yachts coming and going.
Dockage, Moorings & Service:
- Nantucket Boat Basin (508) 325-1350. Pet-friendly, full-service marina with transient slips for vessels up to 350’. Services include WiFi, fuel dock, water, electric, showers, laundry and more.
- Nantucket Town Pier (508) 228-7261.Transient slips on a first-come, first-served basis. Contact the harbormaster to check on availability.
- Nantucket Moorings (508) 228-4472. VHF 68. Mooring rentals and launch service in the harbor. Reservations accepted, and recommended.
- Brant Point Marine (508) 228-6244. Service, repair, moorings, storage and small-boat rentals on the harbor.
- Grey Lady Marine (508) 228-6525. Service facility, repair, storage.
- Nantucket Marine (508) 228-6505. Boats sales and service.
The anchorages in Nantucket Harbor (see chart) are all outside the main mooring fields and a good distance from the Town Pier (just south of the Boat Basin), where the public dinghy dock is located. Free restroom, shower and pumpout facilities are located here, as well. You can often find room to anchor in 7’ to 9’ of water in a few spots east of the main mooring field. The holding ground is mixed sand and grass, but be aware that the strong, shifting currents can create rode issues, especially for deep-keeled sailboats. Another potential spot to drop the hook is northwest of Brant Point. This area is protected by the jetties and Brant Point, but is a rather long (and sometimes wet) dinghy ride to town.
A free town-managed launch ramp can be found at the base of Brant Point, adjacent to Childrens Beach. However, street parking is extremely limited.
- Stop & Shop (508) 825-8833. Large grocery store near the waterfront.
- Brant Point Grill (800) 426-8718. Fine dining with a harbor view at the White Elephant Hotel. Specializes in steaks and seafood, and boasts an award-winning wine list.
- Topper’s Restaurant (508) 228-8768. Acclaimed restaurant with outside dining on a heated deck with great views of the harbor.
- Straight Wharf (508) 228-4499. Upscale waterside restaurant specializing in fresh seafood. Outside deck overlooking the harbor.
- Boarding House (508) 228-9622. Relaxed vibe and unsurpassed venue for people watching. Don’t be surprised by the occasional famous face.
- Sophie T’s Pizza (508) 325-6265. Family-friendly restaurant serving imaginative pizza, subs, salads, and Italian dishes.
- Something Natural (508) 228-0504. Great sandwiches just outside town. Those in the know call ahead to place orders.
- Murray’s Toggery (508) 228-0437. Inventors of “Nantucket reds” (the iconic trousers) clothing for men, women and kids.
- Coastal Nantucket (508) 228-4662. Vintage and contemporary home and outdoor décor.
- Sara Campbell (508) 680-1626. Upscale “garden-party” clothing.
- Cavalier Gallery (508) 325-4405. Nantucket’s largest gallery featuring contemporary paintings, photos and sculpture.
- The Cottages & Lofts (866) 838-9253. Cozy, fully furnished accommodations right on the wharves of the Nantucket Boat Basin.
- Jared Coffin House (800) 248-2406. Luxury accommodations in a historic 1845 ship owner’s mansion near the harbor.
- White Elephant Resort (800) 445-6574. Luxury resort and spa on Brant Point. Individual rooms and cottages available.
- Nantucket Whaling Museum (508) 228-1894. Features a restored 1847 candle factory, an expanded exhibition space, an observation deck overlooking Nantucket harbor, and a sperm whale skeleton.
- Cisco Brewery (508) 325-5929. Brew pub, brewery tours and a lively beer garden with raw bar, live music, and wood-fired pizza.
- Dreamland Film & Performing Arts Center (508) 332-4822. First-run movies, plays, musicals and more.