New Stuff: Humminbird HELIX 5 G2 GPS/Plotters
January 2, 2017
Humminbird new HELIX 5 G2 GPS/chart plotter units represent the second generation of the HELIX 5, and offer new features at a great value. All units come pre-loaded with AutoChart Live and are compatible with all Humminbird LakeMaster charts, including SmartStrike. In addition, the new units include digital sonar, Side Imaging and Down Imaging capabilities that have been enhanced through CHIRP frequencies.
The units also feature the original HELIX 5’s best-in-class, ultra-bright, 5” diagonal HD widescreen color display and professional features, as well as an updated user interface.
The HELIX 5 G2 family consists of 5 models. All feature an updated operating system, 800H x 480V 5” 256-color TFT display, and allow for gimbal mounting or in-dash mounting (with optional kit). International models support 200/50 kHz, and optional 50 kHz transducers are available for extreme deep-water use. All models in the HELIX 5 G2 family allow users to receive software updates when available.
Three of the new units have built-in GPS: the HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2, HELIX 5 CHIRP DI GPS G2, and HELIX 5 CHIRP SI GPS G2. The aforementioned feature a Micro SD card slot for use with advanced cartography or to save screenshots, sonar recordings or waypoints.
All 3 GPS-enabled units also have the following features:
* CHIRP digital sonar and GPS chart plotting with internal GPS receiver for 2,500 waypoints, 45 routes, 50 tracks and 20,000 waypoints.
* Pre-loaded AutoChart Live, offering the ability to map the depth of any waterbody; includes space for 8 hours of mapping on the hard drive with additional storage available on an optional AutoChart Zero Line map card.
* Compatible with all Humminbird LakeMaster charts, including Smart Strike, which identifies the best places to fish based on species, time of year/day, weather, bottom contours, and more.
* Navionics Gold/HotMaps compatibility
* Water-surface temperature gauge
* GPS speed
* 1,500’ depth capability
The HELIX 5 CHIRP DI GPS G2 includes CHIRP Down Imaging, with 600’ depth-capable sonar and 350’ Down Imaging capability.
The HELIX 5 SI CHIRP GPS is the flagship unit of the family and includes CHIRP Down Imaging and CHIRP Side Imaging with 1,500’ depth-capable sonar, 350’ Down Imaging capability and 100’ Side Imaging capability on both left and right sides.
In addition, the portable HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2 PT includes a Humminbird shuttle, soft-sided carrying case, suction cup transducer, 7aH battery and charger, and the same capabilities as the HELIX 5 CHIRP GPS G2.
Designed for anglers who do not require GPS, the HELIX 5 SONAR G2 and HELIX 5 DI G2 deliver a more intuitive and streamlined user interface and operating system.
Features of the HELIX 5 SONAR G2 and HELIX 5 DI G2 include:
- Sonar capabilities designed for the angler/boater who requires DualBeam PLUS Sonar, allowing users to select a narrow, high-detailed beam, and/or a wide beam for a larger search area.
- Water-surface temperature gauge built into transducer for finding fish-holding locations
- 1,500 feet depth capability
- Optional paddlewheel speed sensor
The HELIX 5 DI G2 offers Down Imaging and DualBeam PLUS Sonar. It delivers 600’ depth-capable sonar and 350’ Down Imaging capabilities.
The HELIX 5 SONAR G2 is also available in a portable model, HELIX 5 SONAR G2 PT, which includes Humminbird shuttle, soft-sided carrying case, suction cup transducer, 7aH battery and charger.