Norwalk Boat Show This Weekend
September 20, 2011
The 2011 Norwalk Boat Show, to take place this Thursday through Sunday, will feature plenty of new boats and gear, plus an array of attractions to entertain boaters of all ages, including daily on-the-water training courses, Paddlepalooza and the expanded SAILFest.
Novices and lifelong boaters can compare brands and shop for deals on hundreds of new power and sailing yachts, sport fishers, performance boats, sailboats, kayaks, and nautical gear, plus the largest selection of marine accessories in the Northeast.
WHEN: Thursday-Sunday, September 22-25
- Times: 10:00-6:00
WHERE: Norwalk Cove Marina in Norwalk, CT
- 48 Calf Pasture Beach Rd. Norwalk, CT 06855
- $14 for adults; children 15 and under get in free. $2 DISCOUNT FOR ONLINE TICKETS ORDERED BEFORE SEPTEMBER 21.
- Discount Group Tickets — $3.00 discount per ticket; available for groups of 10-30; $5 discount per ticket for groups of 31+
- For more information and to pre-shop the show, visit BoatShowNorwalk.com.
- At 16 years old, Abby Sunderland set sail from California in a quest to become the youngest solo sailor ever to circumnavigate the globe. Hear firsthand about her experience, snap a photo and get an autographed copy of her new book, “Unsinkable: A Young Woman’s Courageous Battle on the High Seas,” Saturday, September 24 from 12pm-4pm and Sunday, September 25 from 11am-3pm.
- Watch demonstrations of one of the most popular new on-the-water trends, paddle sports. Daily demos include introductions and advanced techniques of Stand-Up Paddling (SUP), which combines surfing and kayaking. Plus, watch yoga instructors show off their best downward-facing dog on the water with SUP Yoga; a demo of the PaddleFit program, an exercise that focuses on core power; and learn new techniques to increase speed and race competitively in the sport of SUP. See the full schedule at boatshownorwalk.com(presented by the folks at Downunder located in Rowayton and Westport).
- Hang with the Harris Boys, Sons of the Late Captain Phil Harris from Discovery Channel’s hit TV show Deadliest Catch:
- Meet some of the most daring deckhands on Discovery Channel’s Deadliest Catch: Josh and Jake Harris. Despite their father’s passing, the brothers remain hooked on the family fishing tradition and continue to carry on his legacy aboard one of the best-known crab boats in America, the Cornelia Marie.
Discover Boating Resource Center:
- Boaters of all ages can take advantage of a variety of free interactive and educational on-the-water programs to hone their boating skills. Courses include close-quarter boat handling, an introduction to sailing, advanced docking experience, coastal cruising and much more. Learn more here
- In addition to free Discover Sailing on-the-water training, the Norwalk Boat Show is the fall destination for sailors to shop the newest sailboats and must-have accessories; learn the latest from the experts during daily free seminars; and gather to celebrate the end of sailing season and share stories at the Latitudes & Attitudes Cruiser’s Bash on Saturday, September 24 from 6-9pm. Free for all visitors, the Bash will feature the tropical tunes of Eric Stone, free beverages and pizza, plus raffle prizes valued at more than $10,000. Learn more here
Boating & Fishing Education Sessions and Live Demos:
- Informative, entertaining daily seminars hosted by Annapolis School of Seamanship provide enthusiasts the opportunity to learn everything from the basics of Diesel engines and GPS navigation to the newest and most effective fishing techniques. Click here for a full schedule.
Hail the Queen!
- Meet the Queen of the Show, Maestro 82—the largest luxury motoryacht on display this year. Tour the beautiful and spacious outdoor area and accommodations of the $6.9 million Maestro 82, which includes multiple staterooms, technology and appliances.
Kids’ “Create-a-Boat’”and more at the Kids’ Cove!
- Little skippers can use their creativity to build a nautical masterpiece with some wood, a little glue, and a lot of imagination (courtesy of Mystic Seaport); navigate around a mini-lake in their very own paddleboat; and enjoy more fun activities including a kids’ slide, bounce house and sand art, the chance to meet Patrick Star from SpongeBob SquarePants, and hear the famous stories of “Blackbear the Pirate”!