Onset Names & Numbers
March 30, 2017
Chart: NOAA 13236
Once inside the channel, follow the markers closely, as skinny water lies to both sides. At GC “11” you can head northeast through the federal anchorage to access Point Independence Yacht Club and Onset Bay Marina. If you wish to access the Town Pier and Stonebridge Marina, continue along the main channel that takes you along the southern side of Wickets Island. Do not attempt to cut through the narrow passage between the northern end of Wickets Island and Point Independence, as the water here is shallow and rocky in spots.Onset Bay can be a bit tricky to enter, particularly for sailboats, given that the channel entrance—between GC “1” and green daymarker QG “21”— is on the Cape Cod Canal. The swift currents here can make “turning the corner” to enter the channel a challenge, especially give the rocky reef that extends from Hog Neck.
- Onset Town Pier (508) 295-8160: Transient slips and moorings near the village. Daytrippers can arrange for hourly dockage, space permitting, by contacting the harbormaster.
- Brewer Onset Bay Marina (508) 273-0338: Large, full-service marina with slips for boats up to 120’. Also offers transient moorings, 50-ton hydraulic trailer, full parts department, fuel dock, WiFi, cable, laundry, showers, rack storage, pump-out, and picnic area with gas grills.
- Stonebridge Marina (508) 295-8003: Friendly marina near the village, at the mouth of Broad Cove. Mostly accommodates boats under 35’ that can pass below the fixed bridge at the mouth of the cove, but also maintains 4 deep-water slips outside the cove. Offers floating docks, showers, laundry, gas, ice and complementary grills for guests. Also offers boat rentals and an on-site restaurant.
- Point Independence Yacht Club (508) 295-3972: Offers transient moorings and slips, space permitting.
- Atlantic Boats (508) 295-8005: Boat dealership and marine service facility in Wareham. Can arrange for haul out at local ramps.
- G&S Marine (508) 759-5100: Local boat dealership and service facility in nearby Buzzards Bay.
Boaters can usually find a spot to anchor in the federal anchorage between Wickets and Onset islands. Depth here ranges from 5’ to 15’.
- (508) 291-3100
- VHF 9
- Habormaster Website
- A launch ramp with ample parking is located on Broad Cove, north of Stonebridge Marina. Parking for town residents only.
- Nemasket Kayak Center (508) 291-4900: Offers kayak and SUP rentals, lessons and guided tours from their location on Onset Beach.
- Stonebridge Marina (508) 295-8003: Rents a variety of powerboats from 15’ to 23’. Skiffs, center consoles and a pontoon boat.
- Stonebridge Bar & Grill (508) 291-2229: Overlooking Broad Cove at the Stonebridge Marina, this waterfront eatery specializes in seafood, grilled steaks and Italian dishes.
- Marc Anthony’s Pizzeria (508) 295-5956: An Onset institution serving delicious pizza, subs, fried food, Italian dishes, cold beer and more served near the waterfront. Great kid-friendly place.
- Stash’s Onset Beach (508) 291-7200: Waterside restaurant next to the Town Wharf. Specializes in pizza, seafood, ice cream and Greek and Italian dishes.
- Quahog Republic (774) 678-4032: Right across the street from the Town Pier, Quahog Republic is the village party spot, serving burgers, seafood and creative mixed drinks.
- Nana’s Ice Cream & Candy (508) 295-5956: Located next to Marc Anthony’s Pizzeria, this is a great spot to stock up on candy and frozen refreshments after a long day on the water.
- Onset Bandshell (508) 295-7072: Outdoor amphitheater hosting concerts, movies, plays and more throughout the summer and fall.
- Cape Cod Canal Cruises: Take a scenic and educational tour of the famous Cape Cod Canal aboard the Viking. Departures from Onset Pier.
- Lady K Fishing (508) 295-9402: Experience world-class fishing for sea bass, scup, tautog, fluke and more on a full- or half-day bottom fishing trip aboard the headboat Lady K, which departs from Onset Town Pier.