Squam Lake Names & Numbers
October 23, 2014
An excellent bathymetric chart of Squam Lakes is published by the Squam Lakes Association and available through Duncan Press. Cost is $6. Order here:
- License: New Hampshire requires a boating-safety certificate to operate a powerboat with an engine of 25 horsepower or more. The certificate requires passing a boating-safety exam, or proof of equivalent certification in another state. For information, visit the New Hampshire Department of Safety website HERE.
- Age Limit: Unless accompanied by an adult, no one under 16 may operate a boat or outboard motor in excess of 25 horsepower. Persons under 16 may not operate a ski or personal watercraft under any conditions.
- Squam Boat Livery (Holderness) (603) 968-7721: Fuel dock. Slips are normally rented for the summer, but call for short-term availability. Rents boats on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, but call ahead, as many are rented for the summer.
- Asquam Marina at Holderness Harbor (Holderness) (603) 968-9001: Fuel dock. Maintains a few transient slips, but most slips are filled by midsummer. Rents boats on a daily and weekly basis.
- Riveredge Marina (Ashland) (603) 968-4411: Fuel dock. Rents boats on a daily and weekly basis.
- A large state-run launch facility can be found on Little Squam off Rte. 113 in Holderness.
- The Squam Lakes Association also maintains launch areas for non-motorized craft and powerboats of 25 horsepower or less. SLA headquarters is on Piper Cove off Route 3 in Holderness, about one mile outside Holderness village. Annual membership fee is $35, which permits unlimited access; nonmembers pay $5 for parking with free launch.
- Squam Lakes Association: Rents canoes, kayaks and sailboats to the public at the SLA Resource Center on Route 3 in Holderness.
- Also see “Marinas” above for more boat rental options.
- Squam Lakes Association (SLA) (603) 968-7336: Maintains and manages conservation land with hiking trails and campgrounds. Also offers launch areas for small craft.
- Squam Lakes Natural Science Center (603) 968-7194: Walking trails, nature preserve, presentations, live animals and activities in Holderness.
- Experience Squam (603) 968-3990: Private boat tours, regional adventures and fishing trips aboard a Sea Ray 23.
- The Common Man (603) 968-7030: Casual, family-style dining and pub in Ashland.
- Corner House Inn (603) 476-3060: Good food in a warm, comfortable atmosphere; popular with locals.
- Walter’s Basin (603) 968-4412: Dock-and-dine restaurant on Little Squam, next to Squam Boat Livery, in Holderness.
- Squam Lake Inn Kitchen & Bar (800) 839-6205: Casual indoor and outdoor dining in Meredith. Also specializes in creative cocktails and microbrews.
Squam Lakes Asssociation (603) 968-7336